Taste Test


Last night we had our family night (#11).  According to my cousin Robin's instructions, I assembled a plate of bitter, sour, salty, and sweet foods.  The rule was, everyone had to taste everything.  If you liked it, you could eat as much as you wanted.  The kids did a fantastic job tasting everything.

Before we ate, we talked about how we were going to try foods from four different taste groups.  We started with bitter.  That's cold coffee, steamed broccoli, walnuts, and unsweetened chocolate.
Abby couldn't wait to get her hands on that chocolate.  I felt a little cruel, but I did warn her that it wasn't sweet like she was used to.  She sucked on a huge hunk happily (to our surprise) for an entire minute.
Then, as the taste slowly sank in, she learned the meaning of bitter.
Poor baby!  We hurried on to the sour plate.  That's grapefruit, an orange pixie stick, pineapple puree, and vinegar (wish I had a lemon!).
Isaac was a champ tasting the vinegar.
When I pulled out the salty plate, I knew they would like it.  That's pistachios, pretzels, tortilla chips, bacon, and salted boiled eggs.
Abby happily ate several eggs.
Isaac enjoyed chomping the bacon.
And, of course, no one complained when I brought out the sweet plate (even though we started with carrots!).  Besides, carrots, that's sweet corn, banana, semi-sweet chocolate, and pop tarts.
Not much of a meal, but what a great family night!

No comments: