Chore Checklist

I have been on an evolutionary path the past few years with trying to make kids' chores work for us.

This was my first chore chart (when the kids were around ages 4 and 2):


This was my second, about a year later (ages 5 and 3):

Today, I think I hit the jackpot.  I combined what I learned from making the getting-ready-for-school  checklist with the chores we have already established and with a conversation I had with my new friend Sheila, who opened my eyes to the idea that my kids are capable of doing more than just taking out the trash.  

From Sheila, I was inspired to teach Isaac how to clean the bathrooms.  

It took several weeks to get to the point where he could do it without too much supervision (and I removed any products containing bleach from the cleaning basket, and have taught him to wash his hands after cleaning): 
  • 1st week:  He watched while I cleaned and I explained the how and the why.  
  • 2nd week: He cleaned while I watched and re-explained the how and the why.
  • 3rd week: He cleaned and I checked afterward and asked him to explain the how and the why.
  • 4th week: He cleaned and I took pictures.  :)  Best.  Week.  Ever.
I also was inspired by Sheila to come up with a new chore that Abby could do.  I picked swifter-vacuuming the hard floors.  
This didn't take as much of a process to teach, but I did have to point out exactly what I was aiming for her to clean.  I also had to go over some areas a second time more thoroughly, but this is a step in the right direction!



From the school checklist, I got the idea to have the kids write down a list of what they were responsible to complete.  

As they were writing their lists, I found that I make quite an evil efficient dictator.  I can really see this working for us.  The beauty of a checklist is that it eliminates nagging.  The kids can pick the order in which they want to complete their checklist, and that helps give them ownership.  It is a mighty powerful tool!

Just to give you an idea, Isaac's (7  years old) list had:
  • pick up toys
  • empty small waste baskets (he has certain rooms he is responsible for emptying)
  • take out kitchen trash
  • take out recycling
  • clean bathrooms 

Abby's (5 years old) list had:
  • pick up toys
  • pick up craft supplies
  • empty small waste baskets (she has certain rooms she is responsible for emptying)
  • Swiffer vaccuum hard floors
  • take towels to laundry room

They were done in an hour, while I have been doing my own chores.  Now the downstairs is all clean and I have sent them upstairs to play while I blog.  Sweet, right?!  

Since I have added new chores, I have also given them a raise to their weekly allowance.  You can see how we teach them to handle their money by reading the posts called Money, Money, Money, under the "Teaching kids about Money" label on the right margin of this blog. 


No comments: